Tuesday, January 3, 2012

With Glittering Eyes

I feel as if I must get this started with an explanation.  For a while now, I have been wanting to find a platform for working on writing some things that aren’t necessarily things I want to write about on my Welcome to the Party Blog.  I have been wanting to experiment with some ideas.  Wanting to find a way to share different ideas with different people.  Play around with some of my pictures and just have a different tone.  Basically, I want to write two books at once.  You know how you may be reading a murder mystery thriller, a biography about Jane Austen, a book for church and Cosmo all at the same time?  Ok, maybe not, but I am wanting to write things at once.  And most likely only I will notice the difference, and possibly posts will end up on both blogs, who knows. 

Now a word about the glittering eyes. 

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”

This is a quote by one of my favorite and most brilliant authors, Roald Dahl.  I have to be completely honest in saying that it comes from a book that I have not read….The Minpins first edition.jpg

Seriously, Roald Dahl has the most amazing way with words.  And there is much inspiration to be found in his works, but this quote really touches me.

Many of you know that I have a son with “shiny eyes.”  This is how I have described him since he was a tiny baby.  There is just something different about his eyes.  I think some of it may have to do with the shape of his eyes, but what my gut tells me is that there is something special behind his eyes.  He has a zest for life.  His eyes are his smile and they light up the room.  I have no doubt that he will find much happiness in his life and share much of it with others.  Time and time again, I look at him and remark about his shiny eyes. 

This has made me think quite a bit about what kind of eyes others have.  I know many with eyes that see things through rose-colored glasses.  I know many with eyes that only see despair and injustice.   Many eyes who see past what is right in front of them.  Eyes that are focused.  Eyes that only focus on the past.

And then I found this quote a while back and started wondering about glittering eyes.  What this is to me is having eyes that are willing.  Eyes that are wise and can find truth.  Eyes that are willing to take risks.   Eyes that are believing, but not foolish.  Ones that are not pretending, but seeking out what is most real.  Eyes that are accepting and willing to love and be loved.  Eyes that find deep contentment.

So this is what I want to explore in my “book.”  Beauty and magic and honesty and wisdom.  Join me.

1 comment: